How To Prevent Hairfall Naturally: 100% Results
Long or short, straight or curly, frizzy or oily – whatever your hair type may be, the problem of hair fall troubles all. And it can be downright devastating for both men and women.
What makes the problem of hair fall peculiar is the fact that the more you stress about it, the more frustrating it gets. A great tip on how to prevent hairfall is to stress less and act more. By action we mean – try to find the cause of the hair fall and accordingly devise an action plan.
Pregnancy, lifestyle changes, water - these all factors that affect hair fall. In fact, some of the top searches amongst new moms is “how to prevent hair fall naturally” and “how to prevent hair loss for female naturally.” Here’s how to prevent hairfall with a combination of diet and good grooming.
Causes Of Hair Fall
First things first:
why is your hair falling out?
This is what will get you to the answers for
“why is my hair so thin?” and
“what should I eat for thick hair?”
These are some common causes of hair fall.
- Family history: The most common cause of hair loss is a hereditary condition that happens with ageing.
- Hormonal changes and medical conditions: A variety of conditions can cause permanent or temporary hair loss, including hormonal changes due to pregnancy, childbirth, menopause and thyroid problems.
- Medications and supplements: Hair loss can be a side effect of certain drugs, such as those used for cancer, arthritis, depression, heart problems, gout, and high blood pressure.
- Radiation therapy: The hair may not grow back the same as it was before.
- Stress: Many people experience a general thinning of hair several months after a physical or emotional shock. This type of hair loss is temporary.
- Hairstyles and treatments: Excessive hairstyling or hairstyles that pull your hair tight, such as pigtails or cornrows, can cause a type of hair loss called traction alopecia. Hot-oil hair treatments and permanents also can cause hair to fall out.
How Can I Stop Hair Loss Naturally, Fast?
Hair loss prevention can be addressed with home remedies, in many cases. But there are also some basic steps you can follow when it comes to maintaining and caring for your hair.
Here’s how to reduce hair fall naturally and how to reduce hair fall naturally at home.
1. Avoid taking hot showers
A hot shower may feel soothing but it dehydrates strands (just like skin) and strips the scalp of its natural oils.
The result is dry, brittle hair, which is more prone to breakage. Instead, opt for lukewarm water and try to rinse hair with the coolest temperature.
2. Do not comb wet hair
Our strands are most fragile and prone to breakage when wet. So it’s important to use a wide-toothed comb or let your hair air-dry before styling them.
3. No pulling & twisting
Tight hairstyles like braids, ponytails, or buns put too much pressure on the hair, and overtime, such styles can permanently damage your hair follicles.
4. Eat a balanced diet
Your hair needs nutrient for healthy growth and shine. So the diet is really crucial. Make sure you eat a balanced diet that includes adequate amounts of iron and protein.
5. Use a baby shampoo
If you are losing hair, use a gentle baby or medicated shampoo to wash your hair. Avoid washing your hair daily. Consider washing your hair only twice a week. Always pat your hair dry and avoid rubbing your hair.
6. Limit the use of styling products
These are common culprits in hair loss. Some of the products or tools that can affect hair loss are blow dryers, hair straighteners, coloring products, perms, hot rollers, curling irons, etc.
7. UV protection is a must
Protect your hair from sunlight and other sources of ultra violet light, which can damage the hair, especially the colored ones.
8. Stop smoking
Several studies have shown an association between smoking and baldness in men.
9. Regular trims
Hair tends to be the most damaged near the tips. A good trim every six to eight weeks can help solve your woes. Damaged hair can be chopped off to remove split ends and promote hair growth.
These are some of the tips you can follow for hair loss prevention.
How To Make Your Hair Grow Faster
There are plenty of home remedies and DIY masks you can make at home to make your hair grow faster. Here’s a list of nutrients for healthy hair growth, along with some easy to make, all-natural hair masks.
- Vitamin A is required for hair to stay moisturised and grow naturally. Food sources: Sweet potato, pumpkin, cantaloupe, mango.
- B-vitamins help carry oxygen and nutrients to the scalp. It helps prevent hair fall. In fact, B-vitamin deficiency can actually cause dandruff. Food sources: Whole grains.
- Vitamin C is required to make collagen. It can also help prevent hair from ageing. Food sources: Citrus fruits
- Vitamin D's role in hair growth is often ignored or not understood properly. Recent researches have linked hair loss to Vitamin D deficiency. It is essential for the health and maintenance of hair follicle and hair growth. Food sources: Mushroom, eggs
- Vitamin E helps prevent oxidative stress and boosts hair growth. Food sources: Almonds, seeds, spinach, pumpkin
- Iron deficiency is a major cause of hair loss, especially in women. Food sources: Beans, peas, legumes.
- Zinc can improve dandruff & hair growth in people who are deficient in it. Food sources: Legumes, nuts, seeds, whole grains
- Protein is important for hair growth. Food sources: Legumes, dairy, eggs.
- Biotin has been linked to keratin production and improving dandruff condition. Food sources: Egg yolks, nuts, seeds, mushrooms, avocados, sweet potatoes, and yeast.
How To Prevent Hairfall: Lentil Mask
Lentils are a good source of folic acid, an essential nutrient for the formation of red blood cells in the body, which carry oxygen to cells for repair and growth. Folic acid helps strengthen and nourish hair follicles and bring shine and volume to your hair. Thus, lentils are prefect food for hair loss control.
DIY hair mask: 1 tbsp of masoor dal (soaked) + 1 tbsp curd + 1 tsp of castor oil. Churn all of them in a grinder and pour into a bowl. Apply the mask on the scalp and leave for half an hour.
How To Prevent Hairfall: Sweet Potato Mask
A diet to prevent hair fall must include sweet potatoes. These are a rich source of beta-carotene, which isa precursor for Vitamin A. Vitamin A deficiency can lead to dull and dry hair and other hair problems like dandruff.
DIY hair mask: 1 tsp sweet potato paste + 1 tsp raw honey + 2 tsp curd. Mix these well and apply on the scalp for 25 minutes then rinse well.
How To Prevent Hairfall: Egg Mask
An easily available and excellent source of protein and biotin, eggs are important for hair health and growth. They are also a great source of zinc, selenium, and other hair-healthy nutrients.
This makes them one of the best foods to consume to prevent hair fall.
DIY hair mask: Take a whole egg and whisk it properly. Add 1 tsp of curd plus 1 tsp of coconut oil. Mix properly. Apply the mask on the scalp for 20 minutes.
How To Prevent Hairfall: Almond Oil Mask
Almond oil makes hair stronger and also helps diminish split ends, which are responsible for slow hair growth and damage. It is rich in Vitamin E, which is a natural anti-oxidant plus other minerals that are essential for hair growth. A soothing head massage with Almond oil is a great stress buster and an excellent remedy for dry scalp.
DIY hair mask: 1 tbsp almond oil + 1 tsp castor oil. Mix well. Massage the scalp and leave overnight.
It’s not all about topical applications: a healthy diet plays a crucial role in preventing hair fall and promoting hair growth. A balanced diet may help you slow down or reverse hair loss. Hair is made of protein and requires a nutrient-rich diet for healthy growth, volume and shine.
However, if you are experiencing sudden and extreme hair loss, it is advisable to seek an expert’s help. Seeing a doctor will help you track down the exact causes of the hair loss and identify an effective line of treatment.
Can a shampoo cause hair loss?
Yes, the chemicals in shampoo can lead to hair loss. It is not the practice of washing your hair per se, but the chemical-based shampoo you use that may make your hair dry and brittle, eventually leading to hair fall.
How often should I wash my hair?
For the average person, washing hair every other day - or even every 2-3 days - is fine. In case there is itching, dry scalp or a visibly oily scalp, shampooing is necessary.
Which oil is best for hair growth?
There are several oils that are good for hair growth. Coconut oil, argan oil, almond oil, olive oil, tea tree oil, rosemary oil.
Which shampoo is best for hair fall?
Since no two people are the same, there’s no clear answer to this - if using drugstore products, it is a case of trial and error and finding which shampoo works for you. If you have serious issues, you may need to consult a trichologist who can recommend the right medicated products.
How should I wash my hair to prevent hair fall?
You should wash your hair in lukewarm water. Very hot water tends to dry out the scalp, causing hair to become dry and brittle, therefore prone to breakage and damage.
Sign up for Hair Rejuvenation Program from Nutritionist Lovneet Batra