- 1/4 tsp good quality saffron threads
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup minced yellow onion
- ½ cup white basmati rice (soaked and rinse)
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- Salt According to taste
- Take put them in a spice mortar. Grind the spice with a pestle to a powdery consistency.
- Add a second pinch of saffron threads to the mortar.
- Do not crush these threads.
- Pour 1/4 cup of hot water into the mortar.
- Let the saffron soak for 5 minutes. This will open up the flavor of the spice.
- In a large heavy pot, heat extra virgin olive oil over medium.
- Add the minced onion to the pot and sauté for about 10 minutes, stirring very frequently.
- Add rinsed rice to the pot and sauté for one minute longer.
- Pour the yellow saffron liquid evenly across the top of the rice.
- Add vegetable stock and salt to the pot. Bring to a boil, stir.
- Let the rice cook for 20 minutes.
- Turn off the heat, but keep pot covered, and continue to let the rice sit and steam in the covered pot for 10 minutes longer.
- Serve hot.