Lose Fat with Cashew Apple Fruit Juice
Every season, there seems to be a new superfood doing the rounds - kale, morninga, maca powder and goji berries are all having their day in the sun, and are popular in salads, smoothies and more.
But there’s a lesser-known superfood that’s plentiful in our backyard - the cashew apple, or the pinkish-yellow fruit of the cashew nut. It’s nutrient-dense, tasty and can be had as a juice.
The health benefits of cashew apple juice address a variety of concerns, from weight to muscle development to dysentery and stomach ailments.
So what are cashew apples? What do they look like? How can we prepare and juice them? Here’s a deep dive into this wonder fruit and the health benefits of cashew apple juice.
What Are Cashew Apples?
Cashew apples are the fruit of the cashew nut. Before cashews are picked and shelled, they are found on trees, attached to a pink, dome-shaped fruit, at its base. It ranges in colour from yellow to orange to pink.
The actual nut grows at the base of the fruit and is encased in a papery shell. The cashew apple and nut fall together when both are ripe and, in commercial nut plantations, workers twist off the nut and leave the apple on the ground.
But in some countries, the apples are gathered up and taken to markets or processing plants for consumption in beverages. In Goa, India, the juice from cashew apples is extracted to make a locally famous distilled liquor, feni.
In Brazil, too, giant heaps of the fruit are displayed on carts by fruit vendors, and the juice is used as a fresh beverage and to make wine.
Cashew Fruit Juice: A New, All-Natural Health Drink
Traditionally, however, cashew apples were tossed to the ground to rot. They were seen only as an indicator of ripeness and were thought to be useless - until their nutritional properties were discovered.
It is now well known for its antioxidant content and cashew apple juice is revered for its anti-inflammatory and wound-healing properties. In fact, tangy and sweet cashew apple juice is believed to be the next coconut water or acai juice.
New health benefits of cashew apple juice are being discovered - nutrition experts praise its high vitamin C content, and there are even claims that it helps burn fat and improves sexual performance.
Is Cashew Apple Good For Health?
That would be a resounding yes! The health benefits of cashew apple juice are many and the juice can address various concerns, such as:
- Weight loss/weight management
- Development of bones
- Muscle development
- Development of tissues and organs
It is also a diabetic-friendly fruit, as it is low in cholesterol and natural sugars.
Below is a list of the health benefits of cashew apple juice.
Health Benefits Of Cashew Apple Juice
The health benefits of cashew apple juice are wide-ranging. Just one glass a day can benefit anyone, whatever their health goals may be. Here are some of the ways cashew apple juice boosts health.
- Weight loss: It helps to burn fat, making it an ideal weight-loss drink.
- Eye health: Cashew apple juice contains high levels of lutein and zeaxanthin, which act as antioxidants and help improve eyesight.
- Gastrointestinal health: It aids in maintaining stomach health.
- Immunity booster: It offers a high level of vitamin C, making it a potent immunity-boosting drink.
- Anti-ageing: Cashew apple extract contains anacardic acid, which is an antioxidant and has been shown to limit the pigmentation effects of ageing.
- Muscle development: It promotes muscle health. According to a study published in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, men who drank cashew apple juice during high-intensity workout had enhanced fat utilisation.
- Anti-bacterial: It is an immunity booster and has antibacterial properties and considered to be effective in treating stomach ulcers and gastritis.
- Cardiovascular health: It is heart-healthy as it is considered helpful in lowering high blood pressure because of the magnesium compound in it.
- Better cognition: It is also known to have a neuroprotective and cognition-enhancing effect.
- Helps relieve dysentery: The juice extracted from cashew apple is effective in curing chronic dysentery.
- Gut health: It also acts as a probiotic.
How Do You Make Cashew Apple Juice?
Making cashew fruit juice is a pretty simple process!
- 2 cashew apples/cashew fruits
- 1-inch piece of ginger
- 2 garlic cloves
- Grind everything together in a blender and it’s ready to drink!
Pretty easy, right? Our cashew fruit juice recipe is simple and fuss-free.
How Do You Preserve Cashew Fruit Juice?
Cashew fruit juice is best had as soon as it’s made, but you can store it in the fridge to keep it for longer. Some recipes also indicate that aloe vera juice can be used to as a preservative for cashew apple juice. Whether you take it as soon as its prepared or with natural preservatives like aloe vera, cashew fruit juice benefits you either way!
Cashew Apple Fruit Health Benefits
As you can see, cashew apples are a highly nutritious fruit that have immense health and medicinal value. With a combination of carbohydrates, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, carotenoids, and phenolics, it helps with a range of issues, from weight management to bone development.
As a by-product of cashew cultivation, cashew apples are available in plenty in India, especially in states like Andhra Pradesh which grows hundreds and thousands of tons of cashews each year.
So if you’re looking to invest in your health, seek out this wonder fruit and add it to your daily routine - cashew apple juice benefits everyone, young and old!
For more recipes and nutrition tips, visit nutritionbylovneet.com
Sign up for Weight Management program
In case you’re interested in booking a consolation with us, mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You can also follow our work on Instagram
Is cashew fruit good for weight loss?
Yes, the health benefits of cashew apple juice extend to weight loss. It helps burn fat and aids in maintaining stomach health.
What is cashew juice good for?
There are numerous health benefits of cashew apple juice. It helps in weight loss, is diabetic-friendly because it is low in sugar, works well as an immunity booster, has been shown to reduce pigmentation and signs of ageing, promotes muscle health, acts as a probiotic and even helps cure chronic dysentery.
Is cashew apple poisonous?
Cashews and cashew apples themselves are not poisonous, but the shell surrounding the cashew nut has a toxic oil called urushiol, which can cause itching, blisters and rashes. But this shouldn’t stop you from enjoying the health benefits of cashew apple juice.
Do you need to add sugar to cashew apple juice?
You can add sugar if you want to, but our recipe doesn’t contain it. You can get the health benefits of cashew apple juice when you grind it with ginger and garlic as per our method.
Does cashew apple contain magnesium?
Yes. It is a good source of magnesium, which is known to play a vital role in the development of bones, muscles, tissues, and organs. This is one of the key health benefits of cashew apple juice.
More about Weight Management: